Monday, June 13, 2011

Beauty Insider: "Food"

Dear readers,


As a continuation to my previous post 'Beauty Inside and Out', I will now cover our next segment pertaining the secret to a beautiful YOU, starting with a beautiful life.
To look beautiful and radiant, one needs to take into consideration what is put into their body and always opt for healthier choices. Of course, everything should come in moderation - a nice treat so now and then does not hurt - but the main motive should remain to eat healthy and adopt an active lifestyle. 


From what I have been experiencing, healthy options aren't only good for your body but they taste good too! Below is my take on 'Shami Tortillas' as I call them. I took whole wheat tortillas, toasted them a little in a frying pan with no usage of oil. I then smeared the tortilla with prego sauce which is a red tomato sauce [can be found in any grocery store: see pic] and on top of the tomato sauce - which by the way can be home made if you have the time on your hands - I then put a couple of slices of jack pepper cheese, made it melt all together.









In the frying pan: red tomato sauce, slices of cheese and one shami kabab flattened.


The name of the recipe 'Shami Tortillas' derives from Shami Kababs which are made of soaked lentils and ground beef mixed together with masalas. I always have a pack of shami kababs ready in my freezer for hubby's lunches. It is MUCHO easy to make shami kababs at home. I just get Shan's Shami Kabab Mix and marinate it in the ground beef to leave it overnight. The next day, I cook my lentils and mix it all together until it sits well with the rest of the masalas and added herbs, such as cilantro. The end process is to grind this mixture into a fine paste, but not too fine so that you can easily form this paste into round kababs. To make it firmer, I also add a little bit of breadcrumbs. I then freeze it in a large ziplock bag and whenever the need arises, I take out a kabab, dip it into whisked egg yolk and then fry it in olive oil over medium heat. Only takes about a minute to fry them on both sides and VIOLA!
Your shami kababs are all done, ready to be served. Every Indian/Pakistani grocery store carries an entire aisle/collection of Shan's masalas. Look for Shami Kababs and even read the recipe on the back. Here's a pic for your visualization:




As for the filling, I take half of a red onion, slice it very thinly and also cut 2 sprouts of green onions which are also finely cut. Slice 1/3 of a cucumber, one tomato and a little bit of cilantro. I like to add a little bit of sweet and sour sauce to make it taste good:




It should look like this:


As for the end result...TADA! See the pic below. I also added baked pita chips with store bought hummus to the menu. And home-made avocado dip with rice on the side for those who want variety. :)



Food is like art to me, just as Fashion is. The preparation may be hard work, but once I achieve the overall presentation, taste and quality, I then sit back, relax and pride myself with culinary satisfaction. My kitchen is my lab where I create, where I cut all my ingredients with much love and care as I know that soon these freshly cut edibles will make my family happy and healthy.

Take joy in everything you do and see for yourself how life will greet you smilingly...each and every day.
Enjoy your food and live beautifully!


xoxo,
Naila~

0 comments:

Post a Comment